Friday, July 30, 2010

"Enjoy Your Book. Folks Will Be in to Abuse You in a Minute" OR My Day at Baptist

Yes, it was a day. I started with PT at 11:30, then grabbed lunch at Five Guys and went to work to get my paycheck. Then I went to the bank and bested Skank of America with my persuasive logic and tears. Then I went to the doctor, who came into the room long enough to insist I go to the ER about my chest pain.

They wheeled me through the labyrinth of Baptist to the ER, where they immediately did an EKG that was normal, as I suspected it would be. Then they drew some blood to rule out a clot. Blood did not do that. It was abnormal. Apparently something that sounded like "D-Dimers" was high, and that has to do with clotting. They did a CT and that was normal (hooray for my lungs), and they sent me home. But that was around 10 p.m.

I was asked three times if I had taken blood thinners or if I had a blood disorder. Now, with all those steroids, I wasn't allowed blood thinners or alcohol for six weeks. There is no reason my blood shouldn't clot. I have suspected for a while I may have a vitamin K deficiency, but I've been unable to find a supplement. The nurse, Rhonda, who was really cool, said that was because it can make blood too thick. So I ate a salad. It was nasty. I will probably not do that again for a while.

My doctor was cool. He said, "Enjoy your book. Folks will be in to abuse you in a minute."

No comments:

Post a Comment