Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"She's a Cook, but She Talks Like a Nurse"

Yep, that's what my new doctor said about me today. He wants to start doing steroid injections next week. Well, he wants to start this week, but I have to work. They usually do 25-30 injections each sitting. I'll be sedated. I'm going to ask for fentanyl. No, I'm not kidding. If the injections don't work, at least I'll feel better from the sedation.

The physical exam was awful. WARNING: THE NEXT SENTENCE IS ABOUT MY ASS. I had an extreme amount of pain with the rectal exam, which is the first one I'd had in about a year and a half. I had the normal pain with the pelvic exam as well.

He calls it POPSS syndrome - pain over the pubis and surrounding structures. Yeah. I think that's just a way to come up with a cute acronym. I have an acronym, too: PAIN syndrome. Pain Always Indefinitely Now! See! I can be cute, too!

The exam made me cry. That's only significant because when I got home later and cried, my eyes felt like they were on fire. It was as though the burning/stinging pain from my hands on Sunday had moved up to my eyes. I still have the stinging sensations in my hands, forearms, and calves intermittently, but when my eyes were open, it felt like my eyeballs were being flushed with rubbing alcohol. I had to lie down with my eyes closed applying a cold compress for TWO AND A HALF HOURS before the pain was gone. That made calling to cancel PT loads of fun - glad Michael was there to dial for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment